Briefly Mentioned

Briana Ibanez

Priest comes to Kansas City

Society of Jesus (S.J.) Jesuit Priest and founder of Homeboy Industries, Reverend Gregory Boyle, will be presenting “Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion” at 7 p.m., Monday, Nov. 1 at the Rockhurst University Convocation Center.

Father Boyle will discuss how the gang divide in Los Angeles was lessened by showing great care for others and business.

He started Homeboy Industries in Los Angeles over 20 years ago as a program that would try to address the problems beginning to arise in the gang-involved youth. Homeboy Industries is recognized as the largest gang prevention program in the United States.

Send a message to [email protected] to register for the event. Admission is free.

The Convocation Center is located at 54th street and Troost Avenue on the Rockhurst campus.

For more information, contact John Meyer at 816-501-4485.

Poll discovers shocking feelings about technology

On Oct. 7, The Jed Foundation, the Associated Press and mtvU released the results of a poll that focused on how college students are affected emotionally by always being connected to technology and the close relationship they share with technology.

According to a press release, 90 percent of college students who participated in the poll reported visiting a social networking site in that past week, and about four in 10 students reported having over 500 friends on those sites.

Despite those numbers, one in seven students said those networks increase feelings of isolation.

Along with social networking sites, text messages were also involved in the poll.

According to a press release, 48 percent of students cannot decide whether a text messages was meant seriously or in a joking manner by the sender.

The poll also discovered nearly 70 percent of those polled had arguments through text message despite the fact that a large number of students felt solving a conflict is better when done one-on-one.

For more statistics or information on this poll, visit www.halfofus.com/press.aspx.