The Sandman cometh

Mark Linville

Like many college students who adhere to the daily scholastic grind, I consider myself an educational serf, the reason being I spent the last 16-odd years in a classroom seeking some sort of intelligence, if that is what I have gained thus far.

But in recent weeks, I have begun to realize a very dire problem I have, one that could very well and possibly have already hindered my educational record.

I fall asleep in class, quite often.

It’s not like in high school when you literally go to sleep because you think classes are a waste of time, but legitimate dozing or passing out, if you will.

I feel it is, at times, out of my control. The only time I have ever prevented my dozing is when I drink a Starbucks Double Shot Espresso, which, by the way, is awesome.

That kind of answers my teacher’s question of “Do you drink coffee before you come to class?”

When I replied with a “no,” she quickly said I should.

I am ashamed by this unintentional and quite literal unconscious act of boycotting my classes.

I have always been a good student in the sense that I always put effort toward classes, and when I fall asleep and miss out on materials and notes, I find it sad.

“I am convinced that staying awake in class would improve your grasp of these theories.”

When my anthropology teacher wrote this comment on one of my analytical papers, I became disappointed in myself.

I received an 80 percent on that paper. However, it’s still pathetic.

Last spring, I took a biology course and found taking notes was difficult due to the fact I would fall asleep while writing. It was also problematic when studying because all I would see was a scribble of ink where my pen trailed off as I slowly lost the grip of the writing utensil.

This happens in meetings as well. Sometimes when I go to my fraternity meetings or Interfraternity Council (IFC) meetings, I catch myself slipping into sweet slumber, but I can usually stop it because I am actually talking and engaged.

I don’t get it. Why do I choose the most serious and professional places to fall asleep?

I never fall asleep at parties. That would be a big party foul.

My sleepy habit may be just one of my negative quirks needing immediate improvement.

I don’t want it to reflect or affect me negatively in the future.

In my sophomore year at UMKC, I yelled at my teacher for calling me out in class for falling asleep.

“It’s not your job to tell me to stay awake in front of the entire class. If you feel it necessary, then you do it afterward.”

Looking back, I may have been a little harsh and wrong in the situation because it is one of my faults that need to go, ASAP.