Student of the week: Angela Sims

Michelle Penton

Angela Sims is a junior and a commuter student.

“I chose UMKC because it was cheaper than K-State, my previous school, and it was located in my hometown,” Sims said.

Sims is vice president of the Black Law Student Association (BLSA) and the collegiate student division of National Black Law Student Association (NBLSA).

“National Black Law Student Association, fosters Black and minority (while not in any way limited to) students who are interested in a career path that involves law,” Sims said.

Sims’ role as vice president is to keep in direct contact with Student Government Association. She also supports and communicates with the other student organizations at UMKC, including the cabinet members of her own. Also, she assists the president of BLSA with duties and paperwork. She does all of this, while still living at home with her mother.

“With executive, general body and individual meetings, not to mention events and workshops to attend and office hours in the Student Union, I am on campus often,” Sims said. “I chose not to live on campus because it was less expensive for me to live at home with my mother.”

“Commuting is relatively easy because I have my own car,” Sims said. “However gas prices and traffic can sometimes cause frustration.”

Commuters have a full, busy schedule when it comes to activities outside of school. Being a commuter can be time consuming even though it is a cheaper alternative to living on campus.

However, commuters still have the opportunity to enjoy the college life that on-campus students experience.