Women’s basketball scores big with a win

On Saturday, the UMKC women’s basketball team scored a whopping 77 points to defeat the Chicago State Cougars in the highest scoring game of the season. The Cougars ended with only 46 points.

With the win, the Roos even out their conference record 3-6 and sever a two-game losing streak.

A total of five UMKC players ended the game scoring in the double digits. Freshman Kiana Law led the charge with 15 points and also earned her fourth double-double with 12 rebounds. Law was in the company of sophomore Grace Mitchell, who scored 12 points with 12 rebounds.

Freshman Sierra Bone scored a career-high 12 points, and freshman Aries Washington and junior Taylor Leathers rounded out the double-digit scorers.

“Today was one of our best all-around efforts of the season,” said Head Coach Marsha Frese.  “The thing that stood out the most was, not just our balance offensively, but that we took care of the basketball.  It’s been a point of emphasis all season and when we take care of the ball, good things are going to happen for us.  Defensively, a big thing for us is mixing up our defenses as much as we can to keep teams off balance.  Whenever we are aggressive defensively, it seems to fuel us offensively.”

Defensively, the Roos forced 19 turnovers, including 14 steals, both season highs.

The Roos came out of the gates fast, and pushed their lead to 19 heading into the second half. Upon their return to the floor, they stretched the lead to 29 with a little more than 12 minutes left.

The Roos shut down the Cougars, who were unable to come within 20 points of the Roos. At one point, the Roos led by 36 points.

The Roos are back in action at 7 p.m. Thursday at Swinney Recreation Center to host the Seattle Redhawks.