SUROP searches for students

Morayo Bakare

The Office of Undergraduate Research, located in Cockefair Hall room 106, is encouraging students to apply for the Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunity(SUROP). This program provides UMKC’s undergraduates with the opportunity to engage in research, scholarly projects and creative work while being mentored by a faculty member during Summer 2015.

Last summer, SUROP students enjoyed activities such as visiting the archives of the Federal Reserve Bank in New York City, using FitBits to measure sleep quantity and quality among college students, designing new ways to test the flight functionality of drones and interviewing public health professionals serving the Latin community in Kansas City. Some SUROP awardees shared their work in front of state legislators at the annual SUROP Symposium in Jefferson City and at regional and national conferences.

Along with other initiatives to build a more robust culture of undergraduate research at UMKC, SUROP is funded by the UM system. Selected students receive a $2,000 tuition grant and up to $1,250 to cover their research expenses. Faculty mentors receive a $1,000 research stipend. Undergraduate students in all disciplines are encouraged to apply.  The deadline for applications is March 13, and the application is available at http://www.umkc.edu/searchsite/.

For more details, contact UMKC’s Director of Undergraduate Research, Dr. Jane Greer.