It’s spelled “s-a-y”

Lindsay Lillig

Hello my fellow Roos, my name is Lindsay Jane Nelson. Our fearless leader of U-News optimistically promoted me to the position of Managing Editor. In lieu of these new credentials, I get to write an Op-Ed all about myself. So, here goes.

This is my fourth and hopefully, final year at UMKC. I am a Theatre Performance major, and I love every waking minute of it. Three years and seven plays later, my credits now include two starring roles and a more than proficient Irish brogue. Currently I am in “Reasons to Be Pretty,” which opens Tuesday. As soon as it closes, rehearsals begin for “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” the next production I’ll be seen in, directed by the superlative Scott Stackhouse. It would be an absolute dream come true to be cast in “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” in the spring, so cross your fingers with me on that one.

I’m an actress by night, student and employee by day. When I am not holed up in the confines of a theater, I can be found in class, the lovely Westlake Ace Hardware in Lee’s Summit, or the U-News house. The latter is the most recent addition to the many places I now call home.

I began writing for University News in August of last year. I started out as an eager staff writer who simply missed and craved writing. I was promoted to copy editor by the spring. Now, I’m sitting in rehearsal sorting through unedited articles as Managing Editor, and I could not be more excited. It would be a disgrace to not mention how phenomenally our new Editor-in-Chief, Kynslie Otte, is running things, and we are only one issue in. She is easily filling the shoes of her predecessors.

Before you stop reading, please rest assured that I am more than a theatre-obsessed-journalism-nerd. I am a nerd in almost every other way, too. My favorite shows are “Supernatural” and “Dirty Jobs.” My favorite movie is “Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl” and has been since its release. I am obsessed with both Star Trek and Star Wars. My favorite band is Queen. My dad is easily the coolest man I know. I love Raisin Bran and sandwiches. F. Scott Fitzgerald and William Shakespeare are the most exquisite writers who have ever lived. Love is the most important thing in life, and ice cream always makes everything better.

Let’s take this semester by storm. Whether this is your freshman semester or your last before graduation in December, embrace it for all the potential it can have. Work harder, laugh louder, speak with kindness and smile more.