Fun times are had with UTA

Lindsay Lillig

The University Theatre Association immersed itself in a variety of works inspired by Sir William Shakespeare on the evening of Nov. 15.

UTA is a stimulating way for students,–particularly theatre majors–to get the most out of their years at UMKC.

“We offer a chance to explore different kinds of theatre. We read plays, we write plays, we produce plays.We’re really focused on letting everyone get a super hands-on experience before they graduate,” co-company manager Alisa Lynn said.

She added that the  the cohesiveness of the undergraduate  department has been lacking overall. The goal of UTA this year is to remedy that feeling.

The Night of Shakespeare was inspired “in many ways by the bard himself,” Lynn said. The first year MFA students put on a production of Shakespeare’s “Troilus and Cressida”, which coincided with the release of Joss Whedon’s adaptation of “Much Ado About Nothing” in stores.

“It just seemed appropriate to put the two together,” Lynn said.

Members of UTA met in Grant Hall where they watched the film. The group then  went to Pizza 51 for a group dinner. Afterward, they returned to Grant Hall to attend the graduate performance.

“It is great to hold these types of events because UTA is about fun and discovery,” member Joseph De Maria said. “Getting together with your friends is fun, and eating is fun and seeing a new take on an old play or seeing a play you’ve never seen before is discovery. Also, it spreads interest in UTA.”

Anyone can be a part of UTA.

“The organization is open to all students whether you’re a major, minor, or not even a theatre student at all,” Lynn said.

Meetings are held at 5 p.m. in Grant Hall 105 every Monday. Attending the meetings is the easiest way to stay tuned in to what the group has on its agenda.

“Often times we do some fun improv work, as well,” Lynn added.

It is clear that UTA is succeeding in its goal for a more unified department.

“My other friends wouldn’t really want to watch plays,” member Caiti Rowland said, “so it’s fun to have theatre friends that share the same interests as you.”

The next event is a screening of “Bare: A Pop Opera” at 6 p.m. on Nov. 22 in Grant Hall 108.

For more information about UTA, contact Alisa Lynn at [email protected].