A Parking Lot Built for Two.

Lindsay Lillig

Parking can be problematic when attending a university with a commuter-based student population. Finding a spot is not always an issue, but having permission to park in said spot can pose a dilemma.

The Cherry Street parking structure has been full utilized since it opened in fall 2012, and the Rockhill garage remains just as crowded. However, there are several areas around campus that would make more sense as student parking. This is not to imply students should have the right to every single accessible parking space, but rather that revising certain lots would be beneficial.

A prime example is the inadequate student parking options outside Miller Nichols Library, the University Center and the Performing Arts Center. Only about a third these areas are permitted for student use.

The lot closest to the library is designated for faculty members before 4:15 p.m. It seems that more students occupy the library at one time than professors and faculty. This lot  could be shared during the day to give students more parking access without stripping the faculty’s access to convenient parking.

The lot closest to the PAC is also designated for faculty only. This permit is reasonable during the day, but quite seems superfluous at night. Conservatory students dedicate many late hours to practice in this building. Wouldn’t it be rational to adjust the hours in which the lot permits only faculty? Speaking for theater students in particular, it would be marvelous park in the lot by the stage doors during late-night rehearsals and not get a ticket.

We are all adults here. What difference  does it make who is parked in which lot, as long as each car has the required permit? If certain faculty lots could allot spaces for student parking without inconveniencing faculty members, students could only benefit from this additional parking. All of us are ultimately using the buildings for the same reasons. If we can share the building, we should be allowed to share the corresponding parking lot, too.