A Healthy Student is a Smart Student

Photo // UMKC Student Health

The Student Health and Wellness Center is staffed with nurse practitioners carrying out their mission to “provide quality health care and health promotion that maximizes student learning potential.” The center provides services for small illnesses, some immunizations, some sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and checkups. Due to the approaching winter season it is offering a special program where students can go to a mobile flu clinic to receive the flu shot.

Scott Thompson, administrator and nurse practitioner at the Student Health and Wellness Center, believes the flu is still a very serious illness that impacts society. Even though the center offers flu vaccinations at all times, the main purpose of the flu clinic is to make it more accessible for students.

The flu clinic will be at the following locations and times:

Sept. 27: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. on the fourth floor lobby of the Dental School

Sept. 30: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the MindBody Connection in the Student Success Center

Oct. 8: 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Law School Jury Room

Oct. 16: 11 a.m.-2 p.m. in Room 302 of the Student Union

Oct. 22: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in Room 4307 of the Health and Sciences Building

“The cost of the flu vaccine is $15 for students and $18 for faculty,” Thompson said.

Each year in the U.S., the flu and its related complications result in an estimated 226,000 hospitalizations and anywhere from around 3,000 to 49,000 deaths. Thompson urges students to receive the flu vaccination.

He also recommended students take advantage of the Good Samaritan Project where students can get free STI testing at the MindBody Connection.

The MindBody Connection located in the Atterbury Student Success Center says that its mission is “to give UMKC students the opportunities needed to enhance their emotional, mental and physical health in support of academic success.” The MindBody Connection provides different activities to assist students in reducing stress so they can focus on their studies.  STI testing is just one of the clinics working with MindBody Connection to reach out to students.

“The mission of the Good Samaritan Project is to provide advocacy, care and education to those affected by HIV, AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases,” Thompson said.

As of right now the tests are available to students on Oct. 9 and Nov. 13 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Students are able to take the rapid HIV, gonorrhea and chlamydia tests and each one is simple to go through. Rapid HIV tests take 15 minutes and a small amount of blood collected by a superficial needle stick to the finger. The gonorrhea and chlamydia tests require collecting a urine sample and the Good Samaritan Project will notify student of the results within two to three days.